A version of this document is also available as a PDF.
How do I contact the MNIT Service Desk?
Remember only authorized and trained coordinators are to contact
MNIT' s Service Desk. End-users are to contact the designated coordinator within
the agency. This is especially important on fax receive problems, due
to the involvement of the agency's / user's email setup.
- Call 651.297.1111 (see all options at contact).
- Listen for menu option for the e-Fax Service.
When should I choose the e-Fax Service over email?
- A faxed document is sent and received as a multi-page TIFF image
file with an extension of .TIF.
- If you need to send or receive an editable or portable
document such as a .PDF, use email.
- Inbound faxing is great for working with signed documents - the
sender can transmit a signed document to your fax number using either
a traditional fax machine or a digitized (scanned) image that's sent
via a fax application such as our e-Fax Service.
- Note about signatures: digital signatures are usually a function
of a computer-based application. Today, the e-Fax Service is not
integrated with such applications. For documents such as contracts,
orders, and certifications, the recommended approach is to sign the
document by hand, scan it to a file stored on a computer, and then
- Outbound faxing lets you send a document (such as a Word or Excel
file) as a printed fax to a traditional fax machine, or to another
e-Fax Service or fax server if more convenient or appropriate than
What are the names I will see in conjunction with this service?
- MNIT calls the this service e-Fax Service.
- The manufacturer's name for our platform is RightFax.
- The manufacturer of RightFax is Captaris.
How do I set up my mail client?
- Normally, no special configuration is required.
- If a user has an individual fax telephone number for inbound
faxing, and wants to ensure that the faxes are routed to others in
case of their absence, you should contact your desktop support team to
configure the user's mail client. Note that we can configure the e-Fax
Service to copy faxes to additional co-workers as required.
- If a user wishes to have all inbound faxes collected in a folder,
the user should use their normal mail client configuration options to
set this up.
- If a user is having trouble receiving inbound faxes, you can:
- check the mail client "junk mail" or "spam"
configuration and see if the faxes are going into that folder; or
- try having a co-worker send the user a fax using the e-Fax
Service, then check the sender's WebUtil log to see if the fax was
What can I do with the WebUtil program?
- This program is part of the e-Fax Service web site.
- You can use the WebUtil program to change your password.
- Consult the documentation on the web site to learn the additional
features available within the program.
What are some typical behaviors?
- When opening an inbound fax, the application that launches so you
can view the fax should be eitehr Microsoft Office Document
Image or Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (assuming that you
are on a Windows system and have not changed the related
configuration). If another graphics programs is opening instead and
the other program is causing viewing problems, contact your desktop
support center to correct the problem.
- The identifier number attached to an inbound fax that comes in
cannot be changed: it is automatically generated by the system.
- The Subject line on an outbound fax cannot be changed: the system
fills it automatically.
- The From address on a fax received through the e-Fax Service will
be "e-Fax State of MN".
- When monitoring the success of an outbound fax via the WebUtil
program, note that the system attempts to send five times before
stopping and saying the fax is unsuccessful.
- Certain fax machines that are receiving faxes from the e-Fax
Service will sometimes fail to receive successfully, and the outbound
fax gets marked as &qout;incomplete." This situation is beyond
the control of our system, as it concerns the machine on the other
- Generally, sending can entail more complexities than receiving -
"it is easier to receive than to give."
- When sending an attachment, you may get an error message and the
attachment may not upload nor transmit successfully. If this happens,
check the attachment for a large and/or uncompressed graphics file.
Ntoe that normal complex logos, Visio diagrams and design elements
generally have no problem being faxed successfully.
- There is no way to suppress a cover sheet for an outbound fax.
- Custom cover sheets designed by the customer can be configured per user.
- If no custom sheet is defined, the user's outbound fax carries a
generic cover sheet.
What are some best practices for outbound Faxes?
- Use simple fonts such as Arial or Verdana whenever possible.
- Use black-and-white images and text instead of color.
- Avoid various shades and halftones in graphics.
- Photos sometimes do not fax clearly, even in black-and-white.
- Keep vertical lines in the document to a minimum.
- Do not use black backgrounds with white lettering, as it increases
transmission time and is not as clear as white background with black
lettering. Example: Not this.
- Margins at top and bottom should be a minimum of one inch.
- Always check your original document to make sure it hasn't flowed
to a blank second page by having extra blank lines at the end.
- Always test by sending the fax to yourself through the e-Fax
Service before sending it out, especially in the case of a broadcast.
What are the federal rules for broadcast faxes?
MNIT recommends that senders of broadcast faxes (faxes sent to a
predefined list) follow the FTC's standards of conduct.
- Broadcasts should be sent between 8am and 9pm.
- The FTC website is http://www.ftc.gov for complete
information on the Telemarketing Sales Rule (TSR).
MNIT also recommends that senders review the Direct Marketing
Association's (DMA) overview and summary of the Telephone Consumer
Protection Act (TCPA). Check the DMA's site at http://www.the-dma.org and do a
search for "junk fax". You can download a document entitled
What Direct Marketers Need to Know About Sending Commercial
What does Unhandled Error mean?
While it can mean many things, it often signals that your session
has expired (too much time with no activity). Log in again.